Roger Shoaf

Default best way to duplicate hole in bronze?

"Eide" wrote in message news:9tWrb.19807$pK6.18313@lakeread02...
Hey all,

I am making some small bevel gauges out of 1/2" x 1/16" bronze. They are
made of a stack of three pieces about 2" long. On the hinge end I need to
get a hole in the same place on all three pieces. I know I can drill all

of
them at once, but is there a way to punch the hole? To make some kind of

jig
to get the hole punched in the same spot every time? I can do a decent job
with the drill press, but in order to get it right it seems I need to

drill
twice, and I want to do better than "decent".
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eide

Why not make the bronze pieces a little oversize, drill and ream the holes,
then with a steel dowel pins, pin them together and sand them to final size?

Seems to me using a punch and die is not going to get you as snug a hole as
a ream. Also the punch tends to cup one side and flare the other.

--
Roger Shoaf