Jimbo

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

US softwood lumber tariffs against Canada where also found unsuppotable by
the WTO last month. However the US government was given another 100 days
to spice up their claims and try and prove Canadian softwood lumber inports
into the USA where actually damaging the domestic producers.

I doubt Bush will overturn the tariffs no matter what the WTO says so the
American consumers looses and Canadian's loose jobs.

Jimbo
"Abrasha" wrote in message
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I heard on the news this AM that the WTO issued a final ruling that
declared the steel import tariff illegal and clears the way for other
countries to add almost any retaliatory tariff they want on any US
products. This is going to put the Dubya's tush in a crack again. If
he repeals it he gets the steel states upset and if he keeps it everyone
else gets ****ed.

Personally I say good riddance. The tax averaged about 8%-10% but
stainless prices have gone up almost 30% and CRS is up over 40%. I have
used only a few hundred dollars worth since the tariffs went on but I
can see how it has effected small manufacturers a lot worse.

The tariffs were a big mistake in the first place. They were supposed
to reduce imports give the US steel industry time and money to update
facilities but for the most part very little of the extra profit has
been used for any improvements. At the same time imports have not gone
down much. The increase in price has actually attracted more foreign
producers.

It was supposed to save jobs but it has cost more manufacturing and
construction jobs than the entire steel industry employees. Now with
the WTO ruling allowing punitive tariffs on US products farmers and high
tech workers get a chance to pay for the steel industries short
sightedness.

--
Glenn Ashmore

Another tiny nail in the shrub's coffin. ... I hope, against all hope

:-( He's
already quite busy buying the next election.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com