Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

In the real world, you're not likely to encounter the scenario of

drilling
through three inches often, though, so it's not as bad as it may sound.
Regardless of frequency, it is far and away more convenient that

constantly
trying to re-establish orientation each time you move the head on a mill
drill. In reality, that's my one and only serious gripe about them.

If
they'd key the column such that they didn't turn when moved, I'd likely

have
nothing negative to say about them.

So what about this one?

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/4493.cfm

It would seem to be a step up from the round column version.

Peter

Yep, indeed it is. I think the only thing that would concern me if I chose
this model is if it has power feed available for the quill, assuming all
other features are acceptable to you for your proposed application (table
size, table travel, etc., which all seem to be reasonable). Boring
without power feed is not a good idea, generally yields poor results. If
power feed is available, I'd suggest that this has the potential of being a
pretty nice addition to a small shop, especially one that has no mill at
all. I would not make the lack of power feed a reason to reject it as a
choice, but it would be a negative attribute. It's just nice to have when
needed so holes turn out uniformly. Quill power feed is one power feed
that is difficult to get along without when one is called for. Most
functions on a mill do not demand it, though.

The concept of the dovetail head in place of a knee is the basic principle
used for jig borers, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the design.

I give this machine a thumbs up.

Harold