Matthew

Default Question about the different steel grades.

I have a project I want to build and I been looking on the internet for just
rough prices on steel. Though I see on many websites there is a bunch of
different grades and I am not sure what they all mean. I have gone to
www.mcmaster.com and under the raw materials metals section they give a
brief description on the many grades which is helpfull. But I am not sure
what kind I should look for to do my project. I am planning on making a
implement that fits on a 3pnt hitch on the back of a tractor to chip or
grind wood. I was looking at some 4" round steel bars on ebay and found out
that is 12L14. Does this has to be hardened before you use it? What grade
should I look for that I can buy then just weld it together and be done.