Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Machining Plastic

I have a KISS wind generator wind generator that develops vibration at
certain wind speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting that goes
over a 2" stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose fitting. I want
to machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and make it out of plastic.
However, I really don't have any experience machining plastic, I've been
looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw Materials/Plastic Material/Rods for
3" material. To keep costs under control I'm looking at the following:

Nylon
Acetal
UHMW
LDPE
HDPE

Comments on the machining qualities, UV resistance, and overall strength of
these would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff