Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default looking for cheap cooling suggestions

"aharbour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I am thinking of running a vaccum air pump to take the cool air in my
basement and take
the air into my bedroom. This would be quite easy for me to do since
there is a channel in my attic running vertically down to the basement.
All i would then have to do is place a vent in my bedroom ceiling.

It can work to some extent. Oftne, the cooler air is also more moist and
not so comfortable. You also have to bring in air that is going to be
warmer to replace the cool air you took out. After a few air exchanges, the
cool air may not be so cool any more. It will take some time for the
basement to absorb the heat and afer a time, it won't be neary as efficient
as the first day.

Can anyone confirm that this works (it seems logical that it would) and
suggest the type of pump and piping to use as well as some king of
thermostatically controlled power strip.

Duct and a blower should work.

If it does work, why is this method not standardly installed with
central A/C ? My AC has a fan that only circulates air in the same
zones.

Because it is not all that practical for a long term and does not remove
humidity the way a mechanical AC does.

Taking this vacuum idea further, if I run a looped length of metal
piping (has to be a good heat conductor) a few feet undergroud in my
backyard and pump hot house air through it, would it come back
considerably cooler?

Deeper you go and the longer you go, yes, it can work. I don't have a clue
how well, but you can do some calculations based on mean temperatures fo
ryour region. It is also possible to extract heat in the winter to heat a
house with geothermal heating sytems.