Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee

Default replacing briquettes for propane grill

Matt wrote:

I am replacing the briquettes in my outdoor propane grill. The old ones
looked like they were volcanic rock.

We bought some replacement briquettes that don't look so good. They
look like poured or molded concrete. They are not very uniform. The
edges are crumbly and some of them are broken into pieces. They came 60
in a bag for $7.

What would some more expensive ones be like?

Like porous ceramic tiles:

http://www.johnstones.com/parts/11072.html
http://www.du-co.com/grillgreats/
http://www.thenoflaresquare.com/

Would they break easily and fall apart?

They last for years.

Would they last longer or have other advantages over these cheap ones we
bought?

I've used a set of them for years. More uniform heat distribution,
cleaner, and lower-profile than lava rock or ceramic briquettes, which
is especially important when I'm fitting a large piece of meat on the
rotisserie.

I like them much better than the lava rock or ceramic briquettes, both
of which I've used in the past.

How much should I be paying for some good ones?

I got mine at a local hardware for about $12 for a carton. They can be
found on the internet under a variety of brand names and usually go
for $20-$30/set.

HellT