Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default 24" level does it work

wrote:
I am cutting (3) 4x4 support posts for beams supporting the joists of
a deck. One corner post is at the height I need. The posts are 10'
apart. Can I set a straight 2x10 on edge on the correct corner post
and use a level at the next post to determine the correct height so
that the post is level with the corner post? How accurate is a level
used at the end of a 10' board?
Once the second post is level with the corner post I was going to use
the same technique until all the posts were level? Is there a better
way to make sure the posts are level over 30'?
thanks tom

It is just as accurate as you can read it. If you continue around back
to the starting point I will put money on it that your marks won't line
up.

As others have said - Water Level.

Harry K