Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

Default Why is this like that?

Wood Butcher wrote:
Hmmm. If that were true wouldn't we still have pickups
with the gas tank in the cab behind the seat and Ford
still making the Pinto?

I recently read an auto review where the vehicle, a sort-of mini-SUV
where the back seats folded down all the way to the floor and the cargo
space in the rear was this giant rectangle going all the way to the low
floor. The tank was underneath the front seats.

I think it's too bad that so much media/legal attention was put on the
Pinto and pickup tank locations. Yes, they were compromises. But if
automakers aren't allowed to make a single compromise in design, then
we won't have any automakers!

Tim.