Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Low energy lamps in security lights

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:18:59 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

No it doesn't. We've a PIR by the front door, but unmasked it reacts to
people walking along the footpath outside. Masked it only lights as you
walk through the gate.

Gosh, how useful!

Very useful in one of the houses in the family. The light comes on
as a human reaches for the gate on the drive. It is not set off by
the neighbours or people on the path. Now all we have to do is stop
a cat setting it off.

Quite.

It makes me smile when he complains about people using torches when
there's
no street lighting, saying that it spoils their night vision. He's right,
it
does, but he can't relate that to our 'security' light.

But he's a man.

Nothing wrong with being of the male persuasion.

Nothing at all. But many of them do seem to have inconsistent thinking - not
you IME.

What security does it give by the way?

Low level lighting does deter some people, who would rather be in
the dark. However, it does not deter all of them.

No. And it's rarely dark in cities. Our drive certainly isn't even without
the light :-(

Our house is one of the few in this street which hasn't a burglar alarm,
many prominently displayed.

Our house is one of the few in this street which hasn't been burgled.

Those facts aren't necessarily related but those without alarms never cause
nuisance by 'false' alarm soundings. There are advantages and disadvantages
to any device.

Mary