Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Low energy lamps in security lights

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:18:59 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

No it doesn't. We've a PIR by the front door, but unmasked it reacts to
people walking along the footpath outside. Masked it only lights as you
walk through the gate.

Gosh, how useful!

Very useful in one of the houses in the family. The light comes on
as a human reaches for the gate on the drive. It is not set off by
the neighbours or people on the path. Now all we have to do is stop
a cat setting it off.

It makes me smile when he complains about people using torches when there's
no street lighting, saying that it spoils their night vision. He's right, it
does, but he can't relate that to our 'security' light.

But he's a man.

Nothing wrong with being of the male persuasion.

What security does it give by the way?

Low level lighting does deter some people, who would rather be in
the dark. However, it does not deter all of them.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh