Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default Low energy lamps in security lights

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:06:05 +0100, "Jason"
wrote:

Hi

I've been looking to replace as many of the bulbs in my house as possible
with low energy ones, and wondered if anyone could help with some advice on
obtaining the following:

- Replacements for 60w ES bulbs, which are switched by PIRs. All of the
lamps I've seen state they're not suitable for dusk/dawn or PIR switches. I
assume this is due to a heavy surge surrent when they're first switched on.
Does anyone know where I can get some that ARE suitable for use with PIR
switches?

- The highest power candle bulb replacements I've seen are 7w (Screwfix and
Toolstation). They're apparently equivalent to 40w. Does anyone know where
I can get 11w ones, or are the 7w ones alright?

Depends on the size of room and number in the fitting. Philips do a 9w
candle eg:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0019981/Trail/C%24cip%3D35826.Homewares%3EC%24cip%3D35893.Lighti ng%3EC%24cip%3D35904.Light%2Bbulbs.htm

Finally, are there effective (and reasonably priced) R50 SES replacements
available, or am I looking at replacing the kitchen light fittings?

The problem they might have is that they stick out too much, so it's
worth measuring the existing bulb and fitting to see how much room
there is.

These might be OK in most fittings:

http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?categoryID=823&category4ID=998 &productID=946

I've had good results with normal round shape 12w Philips Softone
bulbs in R80 spots, they stick out a little but aren't too bad.

The other thing to watch out for is the colour temperature and CRI
(colour rendering index) Colour temperature is basically how cool or
warm the light is, and CRI how evenly balanced the light is in colour
terms. A Google search will get you a much better explanation ~

If you get bulbs from Philips or Osram they should give pretty good
CRI and their websites should give details, but some bulbs esp.
unbranded or 'own brand' ones may not be that good. This may not
matter /that/ much in a kitchen but will in a living room or bedroom.

For long term task lighting like over a desk or most used kitchen
worktop a couple of halogens might still be worth having.

cheers,
Pete.