Posted to alt.home.repair
Straydog

Default How many new water faucets leak when brand new?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Joey wrote:

Straydog wrote:

A retirement house we built got several brand-new, out of the box, faucets
(one for kitchen, hot & cold levers), several for baths & sinks. The
kitchen unit developed a leak after 1-1/2 years. We could "fix" the leak by
wiggleing the lever arm into some fairly sensitive position! As time went
by, this got more difficult to do.

In an attempt to fix this, a trip to the hardware store showed a large
number of these new and very very complex plastic inserts. None of the ones
at the store matched what I had (and, I was out of warranty, no manual, no
receipt situation).

Another faucet (bathtub, also new) is also leaking. Can't do any wiggling
at all to stop it. Still another faucet is leaking about one drop every ten
minutes.

All of the above are Pfister faucets. (their motto: pforever [I say:
fooey])

Now, in talking with a friend, he tells me he has a new sink faucet only 3
years old and it's leaking. He took his apart, went to the store, got a new
_insert_ and he says guess what, it leaks. Brand new insert! He returned it
for a refund. Then he goes to one of the big box home improvement places,
buys a new faucet, and, guess what, it leaks. I didn't ask him the brand.

Now, is this coincidence or are the manufacturers making defective products
these days (in addition to all that stuff that breaks down sometime just
after the warranty expires)?

Oh, yes, I did get a new faucet, and it looks like it drips about one drip
per 10-15 minutes (I suppose this is the new technical specification of
what the definition is of "faucet turned off"?).

And, this time I read the warranty, which requires that you save the
coupon, save the original receipt, and something else that makes life
difficult, and you have to send in the parts, too.

A new faucet should not leak even a drop. Does your water pressure seem to
be what it should, and not too low ? I assume you are getting the washerless
type faucets ? If everything is OK, then take it back for a replacement.

Thanks for the comments. Water pressure is OK. Yep, washerless faucets.