Ed Huntress

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote in message
I can't say anything other than "It's about time" The worm is finally
turning. In my region of Canada we have been hung out to dry by
protectionist tariffs.
We have lumber we now cannot export. Canada never has the balls like
Europe to fight back with the steel thing.
We have to wait until the housing cost skyrocket in California and

tariffs
are reduced when the population realizes they are being screwed by their

own
countrymen in power.
Randy

Randy, last year's exports from Canada to the US ran to $209 billion (US).
Your imports from the US were $161 billion. So you had a $48 billion trade
surplus with the US.

Now, what was it you were bitching about? Isn't that enough? 'You want some
more surplus, I take it?

On the lumber issue, even the WTO, which decidedly does NOT favor the US in
trade disputes (if you want to know why Europe wins most WTO disputes,
consider before anything else that the EU has 10 votes on the WTO, while the
US has one vote), split their decision last year on the US/Canadian lumber
dispute. The result was a mixed bag.

But, either way, it drives me up a wall when someone from another country
bitches about how they're being mistreated in trade with the US, when, in
almost every such case, they're running some huge trade surplus with us.

We aren't a sink-hole for your products, Randy. If you want unfettered
trade, then the thing we have to achieve first is *balanced* trade.

Ed Huntress