Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Christian McArdle

Default Prices at Focus compared to B&Q

I reckon the prices at B&Q are generally higher than at Focus. I don't
shop for DIY often so I can't tell how big the difference is.

Apart from large ticket items like bathroom suites, Focus are painfully
expensive. They only supply hardware items in tiny packets for gut wrenching
prices. You're lucky if they stock the screw you need in packets larger than
10 for 1.99, whilst B&Q might sell you a thousand for 4.99.

I once made a comparison of a simple 15mm isolator valve. It came in
something like a fiver, with B&Q something like 1.50 and toolstation at
around 40p. I can't remember the exact figures, but they aren't far off.

Generally speaking, for hardware, plumbing and electrical supplies, Focus
gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Christian.