Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

Default Odd size laminate countertop

Hi TY,

I sell custom laminate furniture, so I can speak to this. This sounds like
a island, so I'll make that assumption for my response, meaning all sides
finished and no backsplash.

Call a custom cabinet shop, most of them are capable of working with
laminate, and it won't be a lot of money. Avoid home stores, even the
independent ones. For this, you want to talk directly to the fabricator or
you may well end up with seams where you don't want them to be. Laminate is
available in 4x8 or 5x10 sheets. To best avoid seams, you'll want bullnose
sides, but not all shops are set up to do this, and it will require a 5x10
sheet, which is sometimes a special order and takes a couple of weeks to
get.

If you don't want bullnose sides, and go with flat edges, you'll have at
least two seams along the side. A 5x10 should yield two seams, a 4x8 should
be six (if a second sheet is used then it will be three seams). Again, if
you go direct to a fabricator you can discuss where approximately to have
the seams put for best appearance. Make sure you tell him what you're using
this for and what the support is, if he thinks its a table top he may build
it differently than for island that takes a sink.