Anthony

Default How to use an EDGEFINDER?

"David Anderson" wrote in
gy.com:

Thanks to all for good comments - the link to the article by Mike
Rehmis entitled "Edge Finder" was right on target. Also, his comments
about a cheap tool being useless (which is what I was using) made
perfect sense. So, I immediately bought a Starrett #827A which is much
better. But, all these comments evidently assume that we are locating
a straight surface from the spindle centerline. What about locating a
curved, internal edge of a hole? Maybe that was my problem. I was
attempting to locate the edge of a 0.402 inch diameter hole with the
0.200 tit on the finder. The "kick" now depends on the direction of
rotation of the tool and whether the curved surface being contacted is
coming nearer or further away during the "kick". Thanks once again.
Dave

David,
You need a centering indicator for finding the center of holes. This
mounts in the spindle, the dial is rubber-banded to some projection on the
quill housing to keep it from rotating. The indicator tip (much like a last
word) is swept in the hole using the spindle rotated by hand. Kind of like
indicating a part in a lathe...backwards, the indicator is spinning instead
of the part.

--
Anthony

better idiots.