Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Jury Rigging a Cement Floor

The pump is in the wettest part of the floor, and drains into a floor
drain. Eventually, I'll need to hammer up and replace my cast drain
line with PVC. At that time, I'll lay a drain tile. I was toying
with the idea of drilling and running drainage pipes under the
foundation to the outside every three feet or so to collect and
redirect additional moisture before it can build up and reach the wall
(which is also moist).

My home is a philadelphia twin with only a four foot thick strip of
grass between me and my neighbor. There is a paved sidewalk directly
against my house that extends a few feet, so I know that runoff isn't
an issue. The roof is a flat roof and I redirected the discharge
through a 4" corrugated underground to a French well in my back yard.

I *really* wish I knew where the water was coming from. It's why I
suspect a spring or a high water table. The big problem with that
theory is that my neighbors report dry basements. I purchased a
dehumidifier last year with an automatic humidistat. I just can't
stand using all that energy on it. They aren't the most efficient
devices. I guess it beats buying new tools, however.

Thanks for the input.
-Tom