Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

Default Geenish teak

I suspect the teak you bought was plantation grown and the teak on the boat
was not. In my experience (2 years in England where a lot of furniture was
teak veneer) the old teak was darker and richer colored and the plantation
grown looks a bit anemic. But I don't remember seeing any that looked
green.
"C&S" wrote in message
I'm helping out my BIL with refinishing some teak trim for his sailboat.

We
decided that a couple of the pieces were a bit too weathered to restore so
he bought some teak from which to mill some replacement parts. The new

teak
has a distinctly greenish cast. It appears that the newly milled faces of
the stock are the most green.

Is that normal? is it wet? needs oxygen? or did he just buy an ugly,
overpriced chunk of wood?

I'm new to teak. I know that the natural oils are a concern when gluing.

Is
there any special prep I should do before applying marine varnish?

Thanks,

Steve