Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default lathe advice

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

Yes, there are a variety of chuck-mounted collet systems. One is called a
spin closer. Don't know if the Bison is this type.
Bison is a good brand--Polish. Several cuts above the Chinese stuff.
Priced inbetween Chinese and American, a bit closer in price to the Chinese.
Chinese 5C collets: $6; Bison: $13; Royal: $27; Hardinge: $1K.

The bison uses a threaded plate, turned by the pinion that would
otherwise have tuned the scroll of a 3 jaw chuck. Pretty basic.

Btw, practicalmachinist.com has a forum for Schaublin lathes. I just helped
a buddy pick up two from NJ, w/ snap handle collet closers and some kind of
hydraulic tracer attachment, and one *big-assed* transformer. Excellent
lathes, I'm told, quite on par w/ Hardinge.
Looks like my buddy will be spending a lot of time on this forum!

I am aware of the practicalmachinist site. In some respects better than
Hardinge, I am told. Price is not one of the ways, though.

Kinda hard to get used to threading without halfnuts to engage and
disengage, what with the 150 using a ballscrew instead of a leadscrew.

Ours is kinda beatup looking, but runs nice, and can hold tenths better
than I can most days.

Cheers
Trevor Jones