Errol Groff

Default How to use an EDGEFINDER?

The article Lane mentiones is an excellent guide.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/edge/edgefind.html

Some suggestions to add. If you are setting up on a Bridgeport mill
or other brand where one turn of the leadscrew gives .200 of movement
set the dial to 100 when the edge finder kicks. That way when you
move the table .100 you will be over the edge of the part AND the dial
will be at 0 instead of being at 100. This assumes a .200 end on the
edgefinder.

Also, run edge finders at about 1000 RPM for better results. Check
and recheck after setting the dial. On a Bport it is easy to move the
table slightly when tightening the knurled collar. Better to recheck
than wish you had!

If using a double ended edgefinder in a collet be VERY careful when
removing it! It is easy for the .500 end to get hung up in the
collett and if you pull it hard the spring inside gets very long.
Don't ask how I know this. I always (now) remove them from the
collett by removing the collett from the spindle and pushing the
edgefinder out with a slender rod.

If you have a DRP always be in the habit of setting your dials to zero
when setting up. If the power blinks out and you haven't done so you
may be up the creek. When I did industrial modelmaking for a living
often times the pick up point would be machined away and without a
good set up I would have been lost after a power outage.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:31:45 GMT, "David Anderson"
wrote:

What is the proper technique for using an edgefinder in a vertical milling
machine?