Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Inverter Repair. Still blowing fuses..

hmm.. Thanks.
I found out how the diode got blown.. If you power the inverter on without a
lamp it blows the diode.

I tested the good diode and you're right it was a 12v zener diode.

The odd thing is I had this working and put the monitor back togeather. As
soon as I got it back togeather it stopped working and started powering on
for only a second again.. err..

I really think this could be related to my improper output capicitor that I
used.. No one has commented on that. It had a 22pF cap and I replaced it
with a 24pF and I also tried a 20pF.

- Mike

"lsmartino" wrote in message
oups.com...
Check that your replacement capacitor is not shorted again. I repaired
an
inverter very similar to yours... even the failure mode was the same...
the
capacitor going to the CFL charred by itself and shorted. While it was
shorted, the inverter would power on for half second, and then turn off
by
itself.

Regarding your Diode question, maybe you will find this page
interesting:

http://www.marsport.demon.co.uk/smd/sod80.htm

Towards the end of this page you will find a color chart for SMT
diodes. If
my monitor is rendering correctly the colors of the picture you posted,
your
diode has the following ring bands RED, BLACK, GREEN. Using the table
provided, that would be a RLZ12B zener diode manufactured by Rohm.

Here you have the datasheet for all Rohm diodes and their voltages:

http://www.rohm.com/products/databook/di/pdf/rlz12b.pdf

As you can see, you really need a 12V zener diode, not an 8.2V one.

I hope all this info helps you.

Good luck!