Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Circular Saw on the lathe

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:52:39 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Arch... I may not be understanding this thread, but it seems to me that putting
a blade on a lathe and putting one on a Shopsmith are 2 completely different
thing, "assuming" that the SS has a saw table, fence, blade guard, etc...

I've had 2 Shopsmiths over the last 30 years and have never even THOUGHT of
spinning a blade on them when they're set up as lathes...
Hi Moshe,

IIRC, I mentioned using a small (1") slitting saw (milling cutter) to
slot a shaft for holding a scraper blade. However, many of us do use
larger blades in Shop- Smiths safely. Of course there are dangers in
spinning any cutting tool against the work or spinning the work against
a tool.

I've turned wood on my little Atlas horizontal milling machine and
others have used their drill press as a Vertilathe
(see archives). I probably could remove the table and use my bench saw
to turn wood, grind chisels, or buff bowls. Most machines end up as
arbors for holding and rotating something. (yes, I've heard of shapers,
presses and recip saws. 'G' ) It's the utility and efficiency plus the
safety features of a machine and its human that count the most, but
sometimes we have to consider other factors such as space and cost, and
multiuse what we have.

Didn't I say something new and sound smart 'til I fell off the soapbox?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis