Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Hole Cutter?

"john" wrote in message

By using the knee to feed you will not have the work grab the tool and
pull the quill into the work. Feeding with the knee gives you better
control because of the .100 per rev. and the knee is heavy enough not to
be pulled up into the work.

I'm weary of agreeing that one has greater control over the feedrate using
the knee as opposed to the quill powerfeed. I'm not saying it won't work,
but having a balanced and continuous cut is essential.

I don't think grabbing would be a huge issue, especially while using the
quill powerfeed at such a low number. Also, grinding a tool with neutral as
opposed to positive rake, and very little front clearance would
reduce/eliminate the risk of grabbing.

Given that Gunner only had a handful of holes to make, I'm sure the reduced
speeds and feeds to give a successful cut would be preferred over more
efficient although possibly disastrous cutting conditions.

As others have said, it sounds like what he was doing should have worked...
As with most things in this trade, the devil's in the details.

Regards,

Robin