Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default Hole Cutter?

Robin S. wrote:

"john" wrote in message

Feed with the table and not with the quill.

and lock the quill

I'd just use the quill powerfeed, starting on .0015" (assuming a BPT-type
mill) and perhaps 100 RPM, just to see how everything's running. Then
increase as the machine/setup/workpiece will allow.

I've found that the nice thing about large machines like mills and radial
arm drill presses is the powerfeeds, as far as drilling/boring is concerned.
I've used a carbide endmill to plunge-drill out a broken reamer (someone
else broke it, not sure how) on a radial arm drill press using the
powerfeed. While I wouldn't even attempt it, I'd be surprised if the endmill
would have gotten .005" into the material with handfeeding. Unbalanced cuts
are very intolerant of an operator's flimsy arms.

Regards,

Robin

By using the knee to feed you will not have the work grab the tool and
pull the quill into the work. Feeding with the knee gives you better
control because of the .100 per rev. and the knee is heavy enough not to
be pulled up into the work.

John