Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

Default Hole Cutter?

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:57:19 -0500, "RAM³"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

As the diamond plate "diamonds" stand proud..I finished up the gage
holes using a big face mill and put in a slight counter bore so the
gauges sit flat on a machined surface. Actually looks pretty good, but
took a lot of steps to do something that should be pretty simple.

Did you consider doing the cutting from the "back" side?

Considered it. Didnt seem to matter that much..its aluminum..not
hastalloy.

It's a lot flatter there and, while the "points" might need touching up
with
a file/rotary rasp/sanding drum, the rest of the circle would be a simple
cut.

You might also want to consider a circle guide for a router or Dremel -
HSS
bits or, for the router, hole saw bits can cut AL with few problems and
could also simplify the task of creating the border for the bezel.

True indeed. But then Im back to making tools to make tools to do a
job. He showed up at 11 am...

BTW, do you have a rotating table and a vertical mill? grin

sure. First thing I thought of was how to get that 5' long dashboard
on my biggest 12" rotory table and get it to spin completely around on
the table of my vertical miller. G

gunner

You might want to find one of these
http://www.vermontamerican.com/produ...086&GRP=167801
for your tool box.

A 1/4" drill/saw combination bit, I've found it very useful, when chucked in
a plunge router, for a wide variety of materials. I've also used it,
freehand, with a pneumatic die grinder to rough out openings.

I also have a 1/8" one that I've been known to use with a
Dremel-and-circle-cutter-attachment.

Having a mix of metal- and wood-working tools, I've long been known to find
unconventional uses for each. grin