Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Default Hole Cutter?

Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:35:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:00:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:53:51 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
m...
snip----

there has to be a better way.

There is, and you won't believe how simple it is.

I think it's Stanley that makes an adjustable circle cutter. It's a fly
cutter of sorts in that it uses a 1/4" HSS lathe toolbit that is held in an
arm with a set screw. The body has a 1/4" drill that acts as a center, so
all you have to do is set the arm out to spin the circle you desire and cut
away.

This is exactly the sort of cutter I first used..which broke.

I suppose I could scale it up..beef it up when copying it.

Did you clamp the holy **** out of the dash piece first and limit the
downfeed as you were breaking through? Stabbing through into a hunk of
wood might be the coup de grace. Excess movement is the killer there.
DAMHIKT, but I've generally come away without scars.

Yes...it was clamped down on a piece of MDF, flat on the table, and
when it broke..it was about .1 deep into the aluminum. Cutter had
plenty of side and bottom relief, slight hook and I was Gently
handfeeding. Same with the home brew cutter in the boring head. Its
possible I was running too slow...but not enough to cause this I dont
think. Shrug. At no time did I notice any change in sound of the 3
hp motor..IE lugging, and the chips appeared normal for this sort of
tool.

Shrug... Something turned to ****..Ill beef up the next one.

Least my welds held fine G

Gunner

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Feed with the table and not with the quill.