Ed Huntress

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

"Marv Soloff" wrote in message
I don't think the Supreme Court has any jurisdiction in this issue. BTW
- the USA has lost the majority of the recent WTO rulings. The EU is
poised to slap 100% duty tariffs on a number of popular American exports
if Bush does not back down in accord with the WTO. The likely scenario
is that Bush will refuse to back down, the EU (and Asians) will
institute the 100% tariffs, exports will come to a halt, more jobs will
be lost, and the White House will tell us that not being able to export
is actually better for us - there will be more US made goods for us to

buy.

I love it.

The only reason I can think of that the S.C. would get involved is if
someone with standing is challenging the constitutionality of the treaty
itself. I don't think that's happening, but maybe Gunner heard something
today that I haven't heard yet.

As for the WTO, don't expect it to last another five years. The Cancun
debacle cripplied its future; the US is making bilateral and regional trade
agreements that are undermining it left and right; the Asians are trying to
do the same thing; and it will collapse like a house of cards if the US
pulls out. We have to give six months notice if we plan to drop the
agreement.

I believe it's doomed, and that it was from the very beginning.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)