Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Low energy lamps in security lights

Jason wrote on 23/04/2006 :
- Replacements for 60w ES bulbs, which are switched by PIRs. All of the
lamps I've seen state they're not suitable for dusk/dawn or PIR switches. I
assume this is due to a heavy surge surrent when they're first switched on.
Does anyone know where I can get some that ARE suitable for use with PIR
switches?

The problem is not the switch on surge or running current, but the fact
that some PIR units work without a live going to them - depending upon
the the low resistance of the lamp to pass enough current to supply the
PIR unit. If there are several lamps on one PIR, then make one a normal
lamp and it should work fine. Anther way is to add a resistor across
the lamp terminals to pass enough current.

Having said that, low energy lamps are best not used in places where
they can expect frequent switching to take place. A secondary problem
is that their light output is poor on initial switch on until they have
warmed up. Outdoors this could take some time, especially so in winter.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)