David Anderson

Default How to use an EDGEFINDER?

What is the proper technique for using an edgefinder in a vertical milling
machine? For this example, I'm using one with a 0.200 inch diameter
projection, thus 0.100 inch offset from true centerline. Prior to making
contact, the 0.200 extension is off center, but a soon as contact with the
work piece is made, it seems to be now rotating true (machine is running
under power about 150 rpm). Ok, now set x or y graduated dial to zero. BUT,
what happens if I advance the table, say another couple of thousands? How
can I be sure that the first contact is correct if I can still move the work
a tiny bit closer to the indicator without anything happening? Tool made in
India (no instructions); Machinery's Handbook says nothing about
edgefinders. HELP!