Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Walter Cohen

Default Roof vent

Perhaps I might be better served by an adequately sized power attic fan,
thermostatically controlled.

Walter
"CJT" wrote in message
pe wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:57:01 GMT, Robert Gammon

wrote:

rob wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:54:02 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:07:20 -0500, rob wrote:

Agreed. I've had several homes and I can't say they worked that

great
either. I won't say they didn't work but I can say it still got hot
up there. Nowadays, on the gulf coast (Texas), you see new home
construction using ridge vents and soffit vents instead of the
turbines.

That leaves electric roof fans and gable fans, and I can assure you
that the roof fans work.

Agreed but a lot of people don't want them now in south Texas
(typical 95 degree summer days) because it costs money inorder to run
them (net savings less) and require eventual maintenance. I used to
have power vents and they did work but used electricity and eventually
required some maintenance too.

95/95 days are common (95 F and 95 RH), it is MISERABLE, even DANGEROUS
in attics that are not well ventilated, 120F+ and high RH. Got to get
in and out FAST and be WELL hydrated with Water, not Cola, Tea, or
Coffee when going up there to maintain a power vent.

Ridge and soffitt just eliminate the need. We all have to replace the
roof sometime, do it then. Ok, in cooler climate, a powered vent solves
the problem and cost MUCH less to buy and install.

Except a turbine is $40 and I can install one and be off the roof

drinking a
beer in 30 minutes or less.

Turbines aren't perfect, they aren't attractive, but they are cheap and

easy to
install and will help extend the life of the roof.

Not by much, IMHO.