Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default 220 to shop

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"Slim" wrote in message
.. .
Need some electrical advice / suggestions on adding a circuit. Got a shop
close to the house with 100ft of 10-2 wgrnd going from fuse box to shop.
How big a 220 breaker can I use in the main panel in the house? How big a
220 outlet in the shop? Guess I should put in a disconnect panel in the
shop? and maybe some 120 outlets or should I forget the 120's. Already
some 120's out there on a different 10-2 wgrnd. What about ground?

Easy part is that you can't put 120v on a 10/2 240v line; no neutral.
Assuming it is copper, you can use a 50a breaker;

Excuse me? A 50A breaker on 10ga wire? NOT. 30A is the max.

--
Regards,

Incorrect, a 10ga wire can indeed be protected by a 50A circuit breaker
under limited circumstances. Under typical residential conditions 30A is
the max though. See NEC 240.4(D-G) and referenced articles.

The bigger issue is the fact that the 10-2 w/grd does not provide the
required separate neutral and ground conductors to feed a sub panel.
Without the separate neutral and ground conductors you are limited to
using this as a single branch circuit, either a 30A 120V circuit (hot,
neutral and ground), or a 30A 240V circuit (hot, hot and ground). You
can not feed a subpoena or use it as a 120/240V circuit.

Pete C.