Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many new water faucets leak when brand new?

mrsgator88 wrote:
I work next door to a plumbing supplier who is also open to the public. In
his opinion, any faucet under $600 is junk and won't last more than a few
years. Really he said that. That appears to be your case though.

Go to a plumbing supply house to get your insert replaced, and talk with
them about your other problems, they'll be able to help more than a hardware
store. Otherwise you might have to bite the bullet and get a plumber.

I've bought faucets ranging from Moen to Glacier Bay (HD Cheapo). I've
never had one leak right out of the box. Nor have any developed leaks
for very long periods of time, like 10 years+. Most of the faucets in
my current home are now 18 years old. I did replace the kitchen sink
faucet (Groeh) at about 14 years, because the spray section was shot
and I didn;'t like the design. Also, about the same time had one ASTD
bath sink faucet that was dripping. It was a cheapo, and didn't look
that great, so replaced it with the Glacier Bay, which looks great and
works fine.

The OP's failing faucets are under warranty. If they leaked out of the
box, I would have taken them back. Now, I'd contact the manufacturer.
Many times they will send out free parts, even if not under warranty.
To have this experience, IMO, is very unusual.