Ted Edwards

Default "homemade" tool steel

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

Speaking from your own perspective once again, eh Ted? You are the one
that has the tunnel vision, the one that thinks that car springs solve all
problems.

Harold, you often give good advice and you often give long diatribes
about how good you are and how experienced but your perspective is
rather narrow. Now you think that I think that "car springs solve all
problems". I guess you never read my dropbox article on my holders for
carbide inserts or the tools I've tipped with Stellite #6. The fact,
which you can't see, due to your tunnel vision, is that W1, O1 and even
old car springs can make perfectly satisfactory tools for some
applications in the home shop.

Example: You spouted off about some exotic steel with 350Ksi tensile.
I noticed that you did not quote yield, hardness or notch toughness.
You may have also forgoten that *all* steels have the same elastic
modulus so your wonder steel will do nothing for rigidity. This thread
is addressing the home shop environment which is something you have
great difficulty dealing with. How many home shops have equipment which
will stress a tool to 350Ksi? Yet that is the only parameter you
quoted.

Speaking as one that has years of experience in
both manufacturing and tooling,

THAT is the problem! Get down of your high horse and try seeing someone
elses perspective.

learned a great deal about your person when you built a tool that was
swaging holes instead of punching them cleanly when rebuilding Venetian
blinds. You were handed some outstanding advice that would have yielded
professional results, but chose instead to go with a "die" (for lack of any
other terminology, so I use the term loosely) that was drawing the material
to a razor edge burr that had to be 1/8" in length. If that level of
quality and precision is acceptable to you, we have very little to discuss.
You clearly do not grasp what it is to do good and proper work, and you're
likely never to.

Interesting rant. The blinds are up, work beautifully and there isn't
even one word of truth in the above paragraph except the statement that
I built the tool. You never saw the results so your supposition(s)
about them are pure fiction. Iw ould send you a picture but I doubt if
you would look at it and your opinion of the result is vastly less
important than my wife's.

The entire point of Ed's and my posts were that making tool steel at home
was likely doomed to failure.

I don't recall anyone disagreeing with that. The disagreement was over
the possibility of making *tools* not *tool steel* for various
applications.

The next time you pass judgment on people that have worked in the machine
shop trade, try to understand that what you do with your 3 in one machine is
far and away different from the same thing as running serious machines.

That statement mahes my point. Although we do see threads here
regarding production problems, the title of this NG is
REC.crafts.metalworking. Do you know what REC stands for?

need to do so. I'm already far enough behind with my lack of CNC
knowledge.

Not to mention Math, Physics and Strength of Materials.

of doing things in an acceptable manner,

Acceptable to you.

I wonder, Ted, how you'd react to someone lecturing you endlessly
concerning your particular area of expertise when they are poorly informed
in that arena.

I have read a number of your rants at myself and others so I guess I'm
pretty tolerant of most of it. :-)

Ted