Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Boulter

Default Jury Rigging a Cement Floor

wrote on 21 Apr 2006:

You think 15 years would be too much to hope for?

Depends on your level of optimism. How likely do you think it is
that you'll win the lottery?

OTOH, a good dehumidifier can last that long.

My biggest
concern is in using leveling compound as a surface. It's
generally intended to be covered by something. I'm not sure how
soft it is; if it will spall when I drop a hammer on it.

There are a number of kinds of leveling compound. The cheaper ones
tend to break up fairly easily. The more expensive ones won't, but
you might just as well use gold to do the job. OK, maybe silver.

Have you considered the possibility that the water is coming from
overflowing gutters and downspouts emptying out too close to the
house? Or yard sloped toward the house? Those are very cheap to
fix.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address