Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Default Flow & Return or Return & Flow Centrral Heating

Digby wrote:

Had a calamity the other day when we found that we had a leak in our
central heating system pipework.
In the excitement (!) to dig up the tiled bathroom floor we MAY have
managed to reverse the polarity of the two pipes concerned that feed
from the boiler.
Does it matter which way round the water flows through the system ?
Is the there any simple way to discover if I have them the wrong way
round ?
Thanks

It matters if it flows the wrong way through the boiler! The boiler
thermostat is near the outlet pipe. If this point becomes the inlet instead,
the thermostat will sense the cooler return water instead of the just-heated
water - and the boiler will overheat.

The flow and return pipes on the boiler should be labelled. If not, you'll
have to refer to the installation manual. When correctly connected, the flow
pipe will be considerably hotter than the return pipe.
--
Cheers,
Roger