Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Tornado shelter/safe room

James Lewis wrote:
I live in Tornada alley (N Tx). Every year about this time I start
thinking about having a storm celler/safe room installed. Common
sense tells me an underground celler provides the best shelter, but
they are inconvenient to get into, especially at night. Also, if a
really SAFE room is feasable, it could be used for storing stuff
normally put in the garage. Has anyone built a safe room in an
existing home? If so, do you need to bust up your slab and sink a
deeper concrete base or is there a way to sink enough rebar to anchor
the room even if the house goes to Oklahoma?

What wall/ceiling thickness is needed? Where can a door and hardware
be purchased?

mike

Something to think about.

Over the last 50 years there have been an average of 89 tornado deaths per
year.

Average automobile related deaths: 43,200

Tornados did not even make the top ten.

I would think that even for a high risk area, money would be better
spent on automobile safety.

Check the fugues for your state. How many tornado deaths last year and
how many automobile deaths?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit