Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Tornado shelter/safe room

James Lewis wrote:

I live in Tornada alley (N Tx). Every year about this time I start thinking
about having a storm celler/safe room installed. Common sense tells me an
underground celler provides the best shelter, but they are inconvenient to
get into, especially at night. Also, if a really SAFE room is feasable, it
could be used for storing stuff normally put in the garage. Has anyone built
a safe room in an existing home? If so, do you need to bust up your slab and
sink a deeper concrete base or is there a way to sink enough rebar to anchor
the room even if the house goes to Oklahoma?

What wall/ceiling thickness is needed? Where can a door and hardware be
purchased?

mike

Go to the FEMA site and download publication 320 and also the related
CAD files if you have CAD software.

The tornado bunker a.k.a. mini-NORAD is next up on my project list.

Pete C.