Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Jasen Betts

Default Can one "overclock" a CRT monitor's video input bandwidth? Need slightly higher refresh rate than my existng CRT allows...

On 2006-04-22, Ken Moiarty wrote:
Yes, I've read about this technology. Apparently it has been developed well
enough (as of a while ago already) to produce LCD monitors capable of
displaying full stereo 3-D video without requiring the wearing of
shutter-glasses by the viewer(s). This is done with with the use of these
cylindrical lenses as you describe, which are called if I recall,
"lenticular lenses". Lenticular lenses, if I understand correctly, have
been used with still images for many years now, for example, producing 3-D
or "holographic" images as are common on credit cards, driver's licenses,
Microsoft software security logos, etc...etc...

No, not those 3d images those are real holograms produced using laser
photography, and mass produced using a photographically etched stamp and a
layer of metal, the images have a prismatic effect producing all the
coulours of the rainbow dependant on viewing angle and lighting conditions..

the 3d images produced using the lenticular grating are fabricated using
specially textured layer of plastic with a specially formatted image printed
using ordinary ink on ordinary paper behind it. they are about 1mm thick.
often the images are cartoon-like drawings and appear with real colours.

You can actually buy
software that will enable you to print images in such a way that when you
accurately affix the associated special plastic lenticular lens sheet over
top of the printed image, it will then appear in 3-D.)

In the case of the
3-D LCD panels, as you describe, lenticular lenses are placed over
corresponding alternating "left field" and "right field" LCD columns.

could a sheet be placed over the front of a regular LCD display.
with 24-bit-per-pixel video each colour bar is individually
addressible (in its own byte) which simplifies the software.
it'd just be a matter of calibration, and apropriate drivers then.

I realise that if the lenticular sheet is integral it reduces those sort of
hassles, but it seems to create a demand an entry level solution might work
better.

Bye.
Jasen