Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default SMT Diode Identification

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I tested the good diode on a 12vdc transformer. The transformer had an
output of 16.7v and the diode "zenered" at 11.75v... so does that mean it
is a 12v zener?

- Mike

That would certainly indicate a 12v zener. This is another very commonly
found value.

If that is the case, then the coloured bands on this particular diode, would
seem to be meaningless. unless they are signifying a diode type that
contains the numbers " 802 " or " 208 "
or it's some kind of house code. If the voltage definitely settled at
11.75v, with a 4k7 series resistor, then the only other check that I might
do, if it was me, would be to drop the value of the series resistor to
perhaps 2k2, to increase the zener current. Sometimes, a zener will not
stabilize to its nominal rated voltage, if the zener current is too low. If
you still get around the same voltage, then you can assume that 12v is the
correct value.

Arfa