Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default SMT Diode Identification

"Peter" wrote in message
Zener would have failed for a reason.
If you replace it most likely the new one will go that way too.

Peter

In 35 years of being in this business, I don't believe I can think of more
than a very few instances where a small zener diode has failed for any
reason other than poor design of the circuit that it's in, or just chance
failure. Very occasionally, a zener is placed across a supply rail as an
overvolt protection mechanism, and will fail if that rail rises much beyond
its nominal value - because of a failed series pass transistor, perhaps -
but normally, these are large 1 watt types, that will stand going short
circuit without exploding first, not little glass surface mount types, like
the OP's example. Also, rarely, a zener in a conventional regulator driver
stage, will fail if the transistor that it's connected to, goes
collector-base short, but this is a comparitively rare failure mode for
transistors.

I think that it is highly unlikely in this particular case, that there will
be any problem, other than the diode itself.

Arfa