Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Default Musing about single chucking vs reverse chucking.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Arch" wrote: (clip) I just want to know if and how it can be done. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arch, you're being Leo'd to death here. Here's how I would do it. After
drilling one side of your blank, secure a flat board to the drill press bed,
and drill a hole in it also. Go to the lathe and turn a "dowel" that is a
snug fit in the drilled hole. Insert in the hole in the board on the drill
press, slip the hole in the blank over the exposed end of the "dowel," and
drill into the other side of the blank.

This was my thinking too, until I thought some more.

The problem I see with this is that it assumes two things:

1- the original blank has two perfectly planed faces that are parallel
planes.

2- the blank mounts perfectly on the first drilled hole. Forstner bits
don't create a flat surface at the bottom of the hole. They are slightly
convex, the opposite of what we want for an accurate grip.

Now, I am not sure why Arch wanted to do this in the first place, but if
you can solve these two problems it might work, though I don't see the
point.

As for Arch's second question, "How many of you turn bowls without
reversing the blank?"...

"Why? Perhaps a better question is When?" - I would only consider doing
this if I was turning a very thin walled vessel where any inaccuracy in
the second mounting would result in a rim / wall thickness which is
noticeably uneven.

"How?" I generally do this on a faceplate or chuck with large jaws to
hold a tenon

"Why not?" Because cutting the outside of the bowl with the grain is
tricky. It can be done with a pulling cut and a gouge with a swept back
edge. Or with special tools. Melvyn Firmager uses his nibby gouge for
cutting against the grain and tidies up using a fresh burr on the long
curved edge of his thin parting tool. So, it can be done, buts it's not
by chosen approach.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com