Don Foreman

Default brass brazing with a large propane torch

On 3 Nov 2003 16:15:50 -0800, (Eric Chang)
wrote:

Hi. I read a post on google that said that it was possible to do
brass brazing with a large propane torch. The typical Home Depot
variety don't have enough heat output to get the metal up to
temperature. So, I bought some Bernzomatic brass brazing rods, and
looked up a simple design (
www.backyardmetalcasting.com). There is a
design called "upwind burner" which I thought would be big enough.

(snip)

Oxy-acetylene will give you better control, but for large work these
self-aspirated propane burners work very well at much lower initial
cost and fuel cost. I built a Reil burner that is one hell of a
blowtorch. Orifice was #56 drill, runs on 20 PSI propane. Flame is
all blue and of quite short length-to-diameter ratio. Not
recommended for repair of frames for eyeglasses but very good for
brazing angleiron or cannonballs. These torches absolutely will melt
aluminum and brass.

Notes: the 1:12 taper is very important, and you do need a
higher-pressure (20 PSI or so) propane regulator.