Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim K

Default Screw stripped

Probably the best, but most difficult fix is to drill it out and glue
in a dowel then set the screw into the dowel.

The medium difficulty and quality of fix is probably to fill the hole
with some epoxy and then insert the screw once the expoxy starts to
set. Then tighten after 24 hours when the epoxy is fully cured. You
don't have to grease anything - if you want to remove a screw from
epoxy, just heat the end of the screw with a soldering iron - the heat
softens the epoxy.

The easiest is probaby to use a couple of toothpicks or slivers of
wood and wood glue to hold the loose screw.

Notice my liberal use of "probably." Everyone's experiences are
different.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:10:39 -0400, Paul Wolsko
wrote:

Can someone advise me? I've just put together an Adirondack Chair made,
unfortunately, of cheap Indonesian wood. Although it looks OK and went
together easily enough, one of the screws that attach the back to the
arm stripped the hole in the chair back.

Is there something I can use to fill the hole and start again? A think
longer screw may cause trouble, since the chair back is curved. I was
also considering Plastic Wood...but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Paul