Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

Default Cabinet doors...go wide or go narrow??

A 20" door with a center stile and two panels is fine. I tweak the
stile/rail widths to fit interesting boards I want to use. The center can
be different from the sides.
Wilson
"jev" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:22:52 GMT, Waney Will
wrote:

I'm about to build a kitchen cabinet upper unit. 45" wide, 42" high
with a face frame and inset doors, arts & crafts style. But I don't
know whether to use 2 doors or 3.

If two, I think they might be too big and unwieldy at nearly 20x40".
But three doors would be barely more than 12" wide, and I'm not sure
whether I'd even be able to insert adjustable shelves through the door
openings.

I don't really want to make the frame asymmetric, ie a pair of double
doors and a single with only one inside stile, but maybe it would look
OK? Does anyone have thoughts on what would work/look best?

TIA from a not-too-experienced wooddorker ...
Will A.

When in doubt, I usually do a mockup of sorts. I take some cheap
poplar i usually have around, cut rails and stiles to length(no
joinery), lay them out on the floor of the shop and then decide. You
cna run thru several variants in a matter of a few minutes. Much
easier to decide in full scale rather than guessing or looking on
paper.