Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default Surface Plate techniques

geebee509 wrote:

Jon,

That's a good tip on the brayer. I wondered how to get a smooth
coating. Too thick and you get a false reading. Think I'll buy one. For
15 bucks it sounds like a good tool if you're going to blue the plate
often.

Does your chemical cleaner remove the blue stain from the surface
plate? Mine left a blue tinge on the pink surface!!! I hate when that
happens.

The KimWipes (I misspelled it earlier) are low lint, non-abrasive,
delicate surface wipes made by Kimberly Clark.I thought they would be
suitable for cleaning but I would be interested in what you would
suggest.

I see your point on using the spin test. It would be easy to rock the
part and get a false reading. You'd end up scraping and having it get
worse.

Sounds like you've been there and done that. It's tips like these I
wanted to get. Many thanks.

Gil

Get some shim stock and put a couple of thou. under each end. Then use
another piece and run it under the piece. You can feel the high and low
spots very easily. Unless you have a little experience in scraping and
measuring you can get the wrong readings by looking only at the spotting
on the surfaces. Also, any dirt, dust or anything on the surface will
screw up your readings and blueing transfer.

John