Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Default reversing AC motors?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:24:53 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Bernard Arnest wrote:
I'm looking around motor for a grinder. someone pointed out that
compressor-duty motors are non-reversible. I didn't think this an
issue previously, but it occurs to me that if I build a buffing wheel
opposite the grinder, off the same motor, for each to run in the proper
rotation I would have to reverse the rotation of the motors.

DON'T DO IT!!! The threads on the shafts are such that the acceleration
of the motor at switch on tends to _tighten_ the nuts. Reversing the
motor would then tend to loosen them. This causes the grinding wheel to
become an unidentified flying object until after it hits someone.

Ted

A simple jam nut will avoid this - been doing it this way for 40+
years.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada