jim rozen

Default best way to duplicate hole in bronze?

In article AWWrb.19897$pK6.19745@lakeread02, Eide says...

Yeah, sorry about the vagueness, I work with wood and most of the time I try
to be within 1/8". I don't even know how much .002" is - let's say for this
I want to be within 1/128".
So, a punch. If I want to use a punch what am I looking for? What kind of
equipment do I need?

You need to estimate a couple of things.

1) The tolerance on the hole diameter you are trying to
punch. What amount of deviation from a given size can
you allow, and what amount of devination from true round
is allowed?

2) The tolerance for the hole location. Are you trying
to locate the hole in reference to a given edge on the
part, and if so, how accuate does that need to be?

the first will tell you what method is appropriate,
this could be:

Punching (round and to size within 0.010 inch, depnding on
the punch)

Drilling (round and to size within 0.001 inch)

Reaming, etc.

The locational accuracy will tell you what kind of
jig you need. If you are punching a diameter to
within 0.010 or 0.005 inch tolerance, then your
locational accuracy does not need to be more than
that, really.

Jim

please reply to: