Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetalHead

Default Coned pulleys

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

Iny leads/sources on coned/step pulleys? McMaster, Graingers has them, but
not a wide selection. Google may have a good hit or two among the 5,000,000
hits, but I haven't found it yet.
Need'em for my Kalamazoo 9x16, whose variable speed pulleys are on the
fritz, and about which I'm not too crazy anyway.

While I"m at it, I may do the same for my variable speed Rockwells, and the
useless 12/16 speeds on my imports. I'd rather have 4 or 5 useful speeds
than 16 useless ones. Also won't have to scratch my head, looking at the 16
speed chart.

Step pulleys are pretty easy to make on a lathe. I just finished one for
my bandsaw. The only difficult step is cutting the internal keyway. I
would up buying a broach for the job and it came out well. Turning a
four step pulley from a 3" long x 3" diameter piece of aluminum took a
couple of hours.

Bob