Grant Erwin

Default best way to duplicate hole in bronze?

Well, 1/128" is .0078" which is a bit more than .002" but not that
much. Anyway, now you've gotten into the range of ten thousandths
of an inch, which rules out a bunch of stuff.

I thought you had a punch already. If you don't, then go get a Whitney
No. 5 punch set ($45) or clone ($19). These will punch 1/16" bronze OK.

See e.g.: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44060

I just looked up the Bay-Com optical center punch I bought for $40. It's
now damn near $80. So go have a look at:

http://www.nucleus.com/~harlan/punch.html

Grant

Eide wrote:

Yeah, sorry about the vagueness, I work with wood and most of the time I try
to be within 1/8". I don't even know how much .002" is - let's say for this
I want to be within 1/128".
So, a punch. If I want to use a punch what am I looking for? What kind of
equipment do I need?
Thanks.

Eide

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Define "the same spot". Within 1/2"? Within 1/32"? Within .001"? Within

.00001"?

You can get real close with a punch if you carefully centerpunch and then

feel

the part onto the tit on the end of the punch, and hold it there while you
actuate the punch. That will get you within a few thou of your centerpunch
location. If you are good, you can centerpunch within .002" of your

desired

location, that will get you within .010" - is that good enough?

You'll need an optical center punch to do that good, though.

Grant

Eide wrote:

Hey all,

I am making some small bevel gauges out of 1/2" x 1/16" bronze. They are
made of a stack of three pieces about 2" long. On the hinge end I need

get a hole in the same place on all three pieces. I know I can drill all

of

them at once, but is there a way to punch the hole? To make some kind of

jig

to get the hole punched in the same spot every time? I can do a decent

job

with the drill press, but in order to get it right it seems I need to

drill

twice, and I want to do better than "decent".
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eide